Skip to Content
It is currently August 18th, 2019, 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 5:57 am 
New User
New User

Hi

I understand SAM Broadcaster Cloud has its own stream which can have 120 listeners at any one time...

I see Silver + includes 2 external relays. My question is are they really needed? What extras would that bring to the party?

Trying to decide if I get Bronze + extra storage or Silver, and set up a Shoutcast relay for example.

I assume it will still only be 120 listeners regardless of if via the SAM stream or relay stream
So is it just extra possible formats, e.g. if I want people to be able to use MP3.
What formats does the default stream support?

Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2019, 2:04 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

waynieoaks wrote:
What formats does the default stream support?

• HE-AACv1 from 16kbps Mono to 128kbps Stereo at 44.1kHz
  • MP3 from 8kbps Mono to 320kbps Stereo at 44.1kHz
  • HE-AACv2 from 18kbps Stereo to 64kbps Stereo at 44.1kHz

waynieoaks wrote:
I see Silver + includes 2 external relays. My question is are they really needed? What extras would that bring to the party?

With every extra relay you can add one streaming server to relay your stream. LoadBalancing, Geobalancing, that kind of stuff.
Also: SAM Cloud streams won't be listed on shoutcast.com or xiph.org, an Icecast or Shoutcast Relay server can be listed on either of these portals.

waynieoaks wrote:
I assume it will still only be 120 listeners regardless of if via the SAM stream or relay stream

No, the 120 listener limit only applies to the Stream hosting provided by Spacial as part of SAM Cloud.
If you rent a stream server with 1000 slots or put your own 10 GigE Server as a relay, you can add more listeners to your stream. For external Relays, SAM Cloud behaves just like any normal encoder (SAM Broadcaster, Winamp DSP, VLC, etc.) would.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 1:58 am 
New User
New User

Hi

Thank you, that helps a lot :-)

Sorry for another stupid question (I used SAM Broadcaster many years ago as a hobby and looking to start up again)

So where ShoutCast says "Unlimited Simultaneous Listeners" that is separate to the Spacial listener count.

I don't want to start a free trial to play around quite yet as it will be a few months until I am ready to start anything.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2019, 8:25 am 
SVS Member
SVS Member

The streaming server is set up to allow unlimited users, not capped by a pre-determined number of listeners. Caveat, not really possible to have unlimited simultaneous listeners it's limited by the available bandwidth.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2019, 3:53 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

If you're running your own Shoutcast Server the number of listeners is really just limited by the bandwidth available to your server and the stream format and the overhead/other services running on it.

The more common approach is to rent slots in a stream hosting subscription. In that case your number of listeners would be limited by whatever your streaming plan covers.

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode