Skip to Content
It is currently September 15th, 2019, 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2019, 7:37 am 
New User
New User

My radio station has listeners across the globe. So, I create 8 hour schedule of my radio and repeat it three times a day for listeners in different time zones to listen. So far, I was doing this manual and now trying to leverage the SAM Broadcaster's automation. How can I achieve this?

I have been thinking in the following lines

1. Create about 16 Playblocks of 30 minutes (my each program duration) and schedule them. Repeat the whole set three times a day.
The problem with this approach is when the playblocks are repeated they pick the next songs in the series based on the rules and hence it is not the same program repeated, but equivalent next set.

2. Use directly the scheduler task to pick tracks and add them to the queue and make a loop. This way the exact program repeats for the different time zones.
The problem is since the content (music) files are of different duration, I am not able to determine the number of tracks to be picked for making the 30 minutes duration. I would not be sure that the overall schedule is also 8 hours in duration.

I am running out of ideas. Looking for help from this expert audience.

Thanks & Regards,
Saran

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2019, 3:53 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

If you have pre-scheduled programmes of 30 minutes length, just load that playlist into the Queue every 30 minutes.
Automatically selecting tracks to fit exactly 30 minutes is a hard job. Making that a deterministic and reproducible algorithm is almost impossible. (At least within the limits of SAM)

You might be better off looking for a scheduling tool and a dumb playback/broadcast tool instead of picking a very intelligent auto-selection tool you're not even using.

You should probably ask yourself if your listeners really expect to hear exactly the same set of tracks all around the globe. Wouldn't it be fine to have slightly different shows with the same/similar mood based on which categories you pick the tracks from? If your listeners are really only listening for one block at a time and won't come back 6 hrs later to tune in again, who except for you would notice the difference?

We're offering custom PAL / PHP code and general SAM assistance at palscripts.com

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: June 10th, 2019, 8:13 am 
New User
New User

Thank you.

Sorry, I couldn't respond earlier in the run up to make my station live.

Regards,
Saran