Skip to Content
It is currently October 18th, 2021, 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 29th, 2021, 4:42 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

We're about to go back to being live in studio (whoo hoo!), and I'm thinking about upgrading our soundcard. Currently using a Sound Blaster Audigy FX. Any thoughts on a good upgrade by chance?

PostPosted: May 1st, 2021, 9:07 am 
Junior User
Junior User

I personally had issues with that particular model. Not saying you will, but I did. Windows would randomly decide it couldn't find it, tell me the driver was outdated, and sometimes it was like it couldn't handle it, and the audio stream would glitch and skip. I do not discount that may be specific to my experience, setup or user error.

I went external. I use the Behringer UMC22. Now I don't have to worry about firmware, drivers and the like, just plug and play. It's not a "sound card", it's an "audio interface", but it works perfectly for my 24/7 stream.
It has never ever skipped, glitched, disappeared from the device manager or anything. It has played flawlessly for the last year. The other good thing is that it's external, so if you want to replace it, you don't have to shut the computer off and remove a PCI card to do so.
TASCAM US1X2HR, Mackie Onyx Artist 1-2, or Presonus Studio 24c 2x2 would all be excellent choices. The other nice thing about these USB type interfaces is that you can buy any number of input/output configurations. Since they are manufactured with the intent for playing/recording vocals/instruments, they are perfect for doubling as your mic input(s) if you do any live station audio. With both XLR and 1/4", which you don't get with the Sound Blaster, you don't have to worry about any sort of converter/adapter for XLR equipment.