Skip to Content
It is currently April 21st, 2019, 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 9th, 2009, 11:40 pm 
New User
New User

Hi,

I am just wondering if we can do the same thing with news. every hour top three news. I have a contract with few news site from where I can use the news. So, Instead of reading the news, can I do it automatic like weather. I know it wont sound human but its ok. i want few sites to be feature on diff hrs of the day.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2009, 5:59 pm 
New User
New User

Hey Everyone,

I followed the instructions in the read me files but still cant get Balabolka to create any kind of file. I have set the vbs file to run in the task scheduler and it doesnt do anything. Could someone please help me with what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!
Shane

PostPosted: March 7th, 2009, 10:53 pm 
New User
New User

deepesh

YES! I can design a script for you that will automatedly read out top 3 news items. Please give me your news sources (URLs preferably. If any of the sites have RSS feeds, send me the URL to their RSS feed instead, for RSS feeds are easier to strip in vbscript than the actual webpage).

Depending on how busy I am it might be a month or two before it's ready. Sorry it'll take a while, but I'm caught in a few other projects, as well as High School, so my schedule is often busy (except Sundays, usually I can get stuff done on Sundays)

963shanefm

I have received your email and sent you a reply. The most likely reason based off of your error code is you typed an invalid directory when configuring the vbs file. Double check that all directories are valid.

If so and you still get that error message, please let me know.

PUBLIC

Sorry for not being on in a while. As mentioned above I've been very busy working on multiple computer projects, as well as attending my high school classes and three co-corricular activities. I'm a busy guy.

Also, anyone who is reading this. I have just developed a desktop support system that I can use to help fix problems people have with my software and scripts. If anyone has a problem that is beyond fixable with just email and forum communication, this 250kb tool can be used for me (with your permission) to look at your computer and determine/fix the errors. I have a strict promise to never open, copy, or have any business with, your personal files or your computer settings. I will ALWAYS tell you what I'm about to do in the built-in chat feature in this support application, and ask for your permission to continue. The application is also easily terminatable if you ever feel threatened by your security or privacy.

So if you have any problems, please speak up! I am nonprofit and will not charge any money for my services at this time. The only time I would begin charging money is if it is absolutely necessary and it is actually costing me money to make these features available to you. So far that is not the case. Even the desktop support program was made without any cost.

ALSO... if anyone is interested in trying to form this script into an actual program to use for the SAM Broadcaster, please let me know so I can tell you everything there is to know about the program. Sorry but I can't pay you to develop the program for I am nonprofit.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2009, 7:33 pm 
New User
New User

xanaftp,

Hi thanks for your reply. Here are the list of sites www.nepalnews.com , www.ekantipur.com or www.myrepublica.com these are the site i can use. but I want to use just one of these sites not all. because news they carry will be the same. I coulnt find any RSS feed with full news. They have RSS for just headlines.

Deepesh

PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 2:11 am 
New User
New User

Good news, yall!

I just found a program that will let me create an executable file from the original script, as well as set options efficiently. I will try to have it very soon.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2009, 12:54 am 
New User
New User

Is there a way i can implement your script with this RSS feed? I want to do a national weather forecast instead of just local.

http://rss.weather.com/rss/national/rss ... ar=NWF_rss

Thanks!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 6:24 am 
New User
New User

Sorry public for not being available for a long time. I've been so busy the past year. But I have some good news. The project has NOT been cancelled, it will resume as soon as I get out of school in June.

I actually have a program layout for the weather script. I just need to insert the scripts, and finish the bottom half of the window. It's called the WRRJ Weather Reader. Once this executable is finished, the weather and PAL scripts I have will NO LONGER be available because this executable will do everything the vbscript does, plus generate for you PAL scripts. The executable will be freely available to the public once it is finished.

Check out the screenshot attached.

Meanwhile, thanks for your requests. I'll try to have a script ready ASAP for you guys (again, probably have to wait until I get out of school in June).

Deepesh I have not forgotten about your script request and I'll make it as soon as I can.

963shanefm, I'm sure there is a way. I'll try to find that way for you and make a script for your needs. You'll have to wait until I finish Deepesh's script though, I hope you can understand. Since he requested one first.

Attachments:
File comment: Here is a current screenshot of how the WRRJ Weather Reader looks.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 150.36 KiB | Viewed 3032 times ]
PostPosted: November 19th, 2010, 12:09 pm 
New User
New User

Alright so I've read all the material, changed everything that needed changing according to the first post, and the first time I got some errors when adding the ' before the 4 lines of code mentioned. I changed my zip and everything but no matter what I do my text file always ends up : "We apologize for the inconvenience, but the system encountered an error when grabbing weather data. Please check back for the next update. We will attempt to grab the data again at that time."

When I just left the files alone though, fresh extract, after running the vb script the text file read properly for zip 00000, as soon as I changed it same message as above.

I'm running XP if that helps, I was trying to find a security tab for the script to run as admin with full read/write but I'm assuming that since my account is already Admin that need not be done, so I stopped trying that route....thoughts?

PostPosted: August 7th, 2011, 8:24 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

has anyone made any more progress with the reader stuff? havent used it in while now, all it says is we apologize can't get your info. has anyone checked the actual wunderground site it seems like they redid it?

PostPosted: September 7th, 2011, 2:55 pm 
New User
New User

Hello everyone!

I am sorry for not replying in a LONG time... I have actually switched from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu) so therefore the .vbs script for the weather reader is no longer supported.

HOWEVER... I have developed a new .php script for the weather reader that works similar to the .vbs script except it is written in PHP (therefore you need to install PHP5 so that you can run it from the command line on Windows... it will most likely NOT work if you try to run it from a web server's website since the php script executes commands from command line). I know many of you have had problems with the old .vbs file giving you that the weather is unavailable... that is because wunderground has changed their site layout and the script no longer works. This php script DOES work with the new website layout (well actually it doesn't automatically hunt for the RSS feed URL... you have to put it in the script yourself which I will give you instructions once people start using this new php script. I decided to do it like this so that if ever wunderground changes the layout again, your php script will continue to work as long as the RSS feed's layout and URL never changes.).

I am currently working on configuring this new script for Windows use and shouldn't be too much longer before it is ready and I'll upload it to this website as a .zip file.

DO NOTE because I do not have Windows anymore I need people to test this new script on Windows to see if it works... it works on my Linux computer but that doesn't always mean it'll work on a Windows computer.

...if you would like to hear it in action go to https://wrrj.hopto.org (accept the certificate even if it is untrusted... it is self-signed and I constantly check it to make sure it is MY certificate and not a hacker's). There's a media player on the right that you can play WRRJ Radio from.
...then wait until a commercial break comes on (usually every 20-30 minutes when there are no shows broadcasting).

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING WHEN LISTENING TO THE SCRIPT IN ACTION:
*Again I use Linux so the voice you hear on my station will NOT be the same voice as the ones on Windows. You'll still have voices like Microsoft Sam and Anna unless you install and wish to use others.
*I do NOT use SAM broadcaster anymore since I have Linux... I use Rivendell Audio 2.0.2. Therefore my radio station operates differently. However this script does NOT depend on any radio software... therefore it should work with SAM broadcaster as well.

I will let you know on the progress!

...and I had to drop the interface I was creating for the weather reader since I switched to Linux.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2011, 8:52 am 
Senior User
Senior User

ok, i'll be waiting for when you get done with it then and i'll give it a try.

PostPosted: January 1st, 2019, 9:32 am 
New User
New User

What's the status of this project as of now?

PostPosted: April 10th, 2019, 12:54 pm 
Junior User
Junior User

try my weather script system its been working for years till weather underground closed api last month. but its updated now and works great.