Skip to Content
It is currently October 21st, 2021, 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 6th, 2009, 2:59 pm 
New User
New User

I brought my Laptop to a gig last night. Even though Sam had been working all day when I started Sam up it wouldn't play. The songs load but the time doesn't increment and no music comes out. I had to do the whole gig with winamp which really sucks.
I have gigs 2 nite tommorrow 2 on monday 2 on tuesday and wednesday (High school grad parties) Could anyone tell me how to get this working?
I can't aford to have a program that is not stable.

I checked and found 5 posts here with similar problems but no solutions other than "check your config air out and mixer settings"

Air Output settings:
Output driver Direct sound output
Output Device: Speakers (Realtek High Def Audio)
Neither Deck a,b,or Aux 1 play although they do show the song as loaded.
I have tried dragging songs from external explorer window as well as the normal internal Sam DJ method.
Mute is off

Any help appreciated!

Kevin Hall
http://www.hallsofmagic.com

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 4:19 pm 
Alumni
Alumni

go in to your config>audio mixer pipeline and choose air output.
Under output device select either speakers or usb device.
Please note usb devices such as headsets etc are not directly supported.

thanks

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 9:15 pm 
New User
New User

You said.

>go in to your config>audio mixer pipeline and choose air output.
>Under output device select either speakers or usb device.

if you read my message above you will see it states that the air output is already set to speakers
which is what it has always been set at. I am not sure about the USB device advice.
For one thing I don't have a menu pick like that. the other is that I want the sound to come out of the
speaker output jack. Anyway the point is moot because I finally got it working in a most unusual way.

Skip down to SOLUTION if you want to bypass my Rant

Firstly, I sent support an email: there response was that it might be a database problem and they sent me a link
on how to rebuild the database. Unfortunately the link went to an empty web page. I mentioned this to support
but never received a response and the link is still empty as of today.

I sent another email telling support that I had found at least 5 other cases of this problem with no solution other than reloading the software. I asked if they could help. ( I was running out of time)

I got back this cryptic one line response :

>if you are using any new usb hardware or new sound cards, you will most likely have issues.

Support didn't specify what "issues" they were talking about and since I had stated in my original email that the program had been working all day and simply stopped working when I turned it on at my gig you would think they would have assumed that no new hardware or sound cards were involved. ( Yes, I know you can't assume anything -I worked computer support for 9 years) but still I felt I deserved more than a one line response.

So I only had a couple of hours left before the next set of gigs. I either had to solve the problem on my own or re-load the software. I went into the config panel and started checking every setting I could think of. They all looked correct.

SOLUTION:

So I went to the Output driver and changed it from "Direct Sound output" to "Silence "
I closed it and started to play a song. There wasn't any sound (obviously since it was set to silence) but now the timeline was incrementing and the VU meters were active!! I excitedly went back into config and changed
the Output driver back from "Silence " to "Direct Sound output" as soon as I did the sweet sounds of music came forth! So basically all it took was toggling the Air output setting to silence and back to Direct output.

Conclusions:
I don't have any Idea how the program got stuck in this state
Support didn't seem to Know much about it either
Toggling seemed to work in my case so I would definitely try that if this happens to you.
Don't assume support reads your emails closely. I got sidetracked on this "rebuild the database issue" that had nothing to do with the problem.

BIG QUESTIONs:
What causes this to happen?
When will it happen again? It has happened to multiple people already
If it happens in the middle of a gig will I be able to fix it the same way?

If anyone else has this problem (songs loading but won't play) please drop me a note
I would like to see how the solution works for you.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 6:54 pm 
Senior User
Senior User

The important thing is that you get the sound coming out of the speakers. I have been using SPDJ for about 18 months now and have used it on hundreds of gigs, every time I set up I have to set up the output route, I simply click on the EQ and then set my usb audio outputs.

I have recently found a cool little tool at our local maplins, it is a USB adapter for headphones, SAM sees it as a USB output and I can now send my cue output to the headphones and live out front. And it was only £20...happy days

PostPosted: November 5th, 2009, 4:03 am 
New User
New User

just want to add that I am suffering from the same 'wont play' problem on SPDJ and it caused me to start late at a Halloween party last weekend, when a pc reboot fixed things. The fix alternating between silent and direct output seems to work, but cannot not a long term solution.
I know I cleared out a load of apple and napster software from the PC and I personally suspect that I knocked out some little file that SAM party dj uses. If I reload SAM, will my track listings and categories need re-creating?

PostPosted: December 31st, 2010, 11:48 am 
New User
New User

I just had the same issue with both of my SAMS programs as I run two internet radio stations. The solution that worked for me was exactly as the previous post recommended. I went into the Audio Mixer Pipeline and changed it to silent output and then back to direct sound output and now both of my SAMS are working fine. The only thing that changed for me, before this happened, was a Windows update. So not sure if that messed something up.. Who knows but it's working now :-)

PostPosted: April 20th, 2011, 1:46 am 
New User
New User

After an update on windows 7 professional yesterday i got the same problem, songs load in the deck but i saw it not playing (just standing still) and no sound came out of my soundsystem neither true my encoder/stream.
That was last second stress cause i had to startup my backup PC and plugin my headset, setup the encoder and passwords for the stream and set up my laptop that i use on the side while the DJ before me had to hold the stream and I couldnt start my DJ shift on time. Thank God my backup PC (on windows Vista) worked fine.

The given solution, first set the sound on silence, and then back again on the sound direct sound output worked!!
So... thank you soo, so so much!!

PostPosted: February 19th, 2012, 12:12 am 
New User
New User

I have just had this happened to me,and I was going to use the solution posted but then I noticed something else.
The speakers I have for cue output were not connected, and therefore not available in windows list of devices. This seems to confuse SAM, and stop it working. In my case I just changed cue output to disabled, and that is what fixed my primary output issue.

Maybe this is a bug that can be fixed simply by having the sound output set to disabled / silent when it cant find the hardware it was expecting, and inform the user that a system change has been detected, rather than have it just seem to stop working for no apparent reason.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2014, 10:32 am 
New User
New User

How did you set cue output to disabled pob13?

PostPosted: November 21st, 2017, 6:44 pm 
New User
New User

kevinvegas wrote:
I brought my Laptop to a gig last night. Even though Sam had been working all day when I started Sam up it wouldn't play. The songs load but the time doesn't increment and no music comes out. I had to do the whole gig with winamp which really sucks.
I have gigs 2 nite tommorrow 2 on monday 2 on tuesday and wednesday (High school grad parties) Could anyone tell me how to get this working?
I can't aford to have a program that is not stable.

I checked and found 5 posts here with similar problems but no solutions other than "check your config air out and mixer settings"

Air Output settings:
Output driver Direct sound output
Output Device: Speakers (Realtek High Def Audio)
Neither Deck a,b,or Aux 1 play although they do show the song as loaded.
I have tried dragging songs from external explorer window as well as the normal internal Sam DJ method.
Mute is off

Any help appreciated!

Kevin Hall
http://www.hallsofmagic.com

For me, the songs that wouldn't play were the ones I've bought on itunes so I went into EDIT>PREFERENCES, THEN SCROLLED DOWN TO LOCAL FILES and turned off (slide to the left) the tab next to ITUNES, WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, & MY MUSIC. (or whatever source you may or may not have).

that helped me, ...hope it helps you :)