Skip to Content
It is currently May 27th, 2020, 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Audio Track Levels
PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 6:18 pm 
New User
New User

I would like to know what others are doing to level out the volume on music tracks.

I use Mp3gain and it works well for most tracks but there are some that still are unstable in their levels. It seems like the Sam Broadcaster AGC is trying to compress the levels or expand them and it sounds terrible.

What do you do? What are some settings that you use? Are there other offset levelers to use?

I have tried different computers, different operating systems and it is the same on any.

I have the problem on music services, purchased music, ripped tracks ... no consistent resource to blame it on.

I just want to listen to my station and have it sound consistent.

Post subject: Re: Audio Track Levels
PostPosted: April 21st, 2020, 6:30 pm 
SVS Member
SVS Member

The AGC is very fine tuneable and a couple of years (definitely 10+) ago, there were people creating and sharing presets for the AGC.
Since I got absolutely zero understanding about how an AGC (especially one this complex with limiters, compressors and stuff) works, I go with one of these.

The default preset of the AGC in SAM sounds awful, 100% wouldn't use. Make sure to set it to bypass all if you use any other form of "automated" or manual Gain Control.

Shop for readymade PAL scripts by countrywesterndj - Or get a custom script made by me (or others)

My Project:
Send "Now Playing" from SAM to Twitter and/or Facebook | Sourcecode

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2020, 1:16 pm 
New User
New User

Hi WMI,

I'm using Mp3gain (for over 10 years) as well and my target level is 92 db. Your problem seems to be your sound processing. As Mastacheata wrote above - don't use default preset of SAM settings ! -. In my first SAM BC beginner years (10 years ago) I have used several presets found in the web. There was a discussion forum in german language at https://www.radioforen.de/ from where I made my first real trials with AGC settings. There are real good ones !
Additionally I can remember that someone has posted a zip file? in this forum with all agc setting trials from radioforen.de . So have a search in this forum ...
I personally have spent days to find my proper settings for my requested sound output & - in addition - with a clipping free & free of distortion sound stream.
Let me know your Radio Genre and I will have a look what is still stored on my hard discs - as I have made several AGC trials for different Genres in the past.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2020, 10:38 am 
New User
New User

You all sound like me. I know nothing of the settings and their meaning. I have used and registered Stereo Tool. But again, the presets all are foreign to me.

I have always used 85, on Mp3gain. Still get this up and down compression sound on some tracks. Maybe I need to up the setting as mentioned above.

I will check the forum you guys mentioned.

I love SAM. I have had it since about 2003. I just never liked the 'total' sound of it. Always something needed tweaking and never got it right.